Can we run a warehouse out of our garage?
The general consensus is that authors don't make much money. But in 2012, a young designer found a better way.
The general consensus is that authors don't make much money:
"My novel, “Broken Piano for President,” shot to the top of the best-seller lists. This is what it’s like, financially, to have the indie book publicity story of the year and be near the top of the bestseller list. Drum roll. $12,000." — Patrick Wensick
But in 2012, a young designer named Nathan Barry figured out a better way. He realized that by teaching people something valuable, and self-publishing himself, he could earn more as an author. (You can listen to Part 1 and Part 2 of the 2013 interview here)
"Quantity produces quality. If you only write a few things, you’re doomed." — Ray Bradbury
This week on the show we'll be exploring the world of writing and self-publishing.
Sarah's rules about living a creative life:
- It's always worth pursuing the things you love.
- Sometimes you're going to have to get creative about how the money works
- 30 shirts sold far
- I make $1 per shirt currently. ;)
- 57% ordered a Men's medium
- 29% ordered a Men's large
- 7% ordered a Men's XL
- 7% ordered a Men's XXL
- 14% ordered a Women's shirt
- There were only 2 shipping problems
You can still order the MegaMaker shirt at a reduced price, plus get $5 off with the coupon code PODCAST until Feb 6, 2016. Go to store.megamaker.co.
- Sacha Greif recommended threadbird.com
- My Amazon bestseller made me nothing
- Notes from the Self-Publishing Hangout
- Marketing for Developers
- Join the 2016 Maker Challenge
- Theme music by Striker.
- Podcast hosting by Simplecast.fm
- Help more people find the show: leave a review on iTunes